Monday 19 November 2012

Inspired by Fordhall Farm

"Lack of money is no obstacle. Lack of an idea is an obstacle" says Ken Hakuta.  In my little world there is an abundance of ideas and a distinct lack of spondoolicks. Sadly I'm finding that things would be a little easier if the situation were reversed but it's something that can be overcome.

So how on earth am I going to pay for this dream?  I could sell my house, which would probably get me a small woodland but wouldn't really be big enough to share with others. It would also mean that I would have nowhere to live and I would have to rent, which would then eat into the money from selling my home and who is to say when the right woodland would be available? It may not appear for months or, dare I say it, years and the majority of money would have been spent on having a roof over our heads.

I've looked into many ways of raising money; taking out a loan, crowdfunding, applying for grants, remortgaging my house, etc, but I think the best plan of action will be to base it along the same lines as Fordhall Farm. If you don't know the story of Fordhall Farm you need to look HERE and buy this Book. It shows just what you can do when you are really determined and refuse to give up. I read it again and again because I find it so inspirational and even if you don't want to save your family farm or buy a woodland, you should read it because you will be all the better for it.

So how much money would I need to raise? Well, looking at what is available now, £200,000 would be enough for a 40 - 50 acre woodland. This would be large enough for a variety of co-operatives who didn't want to earn a fortune. £5,500,000 would buy a farm with outbuildings, pasture and a woodland, which means more people could live and work on the land. Maybe I'll aim for £250,000 and if I get more I'll consider it a bonus.

Crowdfunding may be the way to get the money together to do the initial legalities, forming the holding company (or whatever legal structure is decided upon), legal fees, registration fees, bank account, etc. Anything from £500 to £1,000 should be more than enough to get started.

Then all I'll need is 250,000 people who would be willing to give me a just £1 each, but sadly I don't know 250,000 people. This is where (I hope) this blog will come in handy. Hopefully people will hear about it and want to help, either by giving a small donation, buying a share or just offering advice or support.

I will also be selling things I've made or things I no longer want/need and will put this into the fund, although I won't be doing this until I've researched into the legalities of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment